Federal Hill Planning Project
State Street Corridor, Springfield, MA
DevelopSpringfield and the Springfield Redevelopment Authority worked with the planning & design firm Sasaki Associates to prepare a redevelopment plan for a portion of the State Street Corridor in the vicinity of the proposed Mason Square full-line grocery store, the rehabilitation of the historic Gunn Block project and other related initiatives.
- Create an identity for the district as a safe and inviting place to live, work, shop, and play.
- Propose strategies for improving the existing public realm as well as the condition of the residential and commercial uses of the neighborhood.
- Identify and maximize the redevelopment potential of key redevelopment sites within the neighborhood, leveraging the positive impact of the new grocery store.
- Explore strategic acquisition and infill opportunities within the district.
- Understand the potential value of extending the urban renewal boundary.
- Propose a balanced mix of future land uses that will both maximize the tax base and job creation opportunities of the neighborhood but also provide a range of housing options.