2023 Top Construction Projects to Have on Your Radar 12/20/22
by: Matthew Guarracino, Principal & CEO, JM Electrical Company, Inc.
As we head into the new year, it’s nice to take a closer look at some interesting construction projects on the horizon. These developments include grand residences, high-end retail and restaurants, innovative office, laboratory and outdoor spaces, and a slew of amenities and services that will change our skylines and the way that people live, work, and experience the Boston area.
- Samuels & Associates and Suffolk Construction are behind the Parcel 12 development, the first major air rights project to be constructed high above eight lanes of highway, the MBTA Green Line, and railroad tracks. This attention-getting site will be home to the global headquarters of Cambridge-based car-buying website and auto research company CarGurus Inc. and a CitizenM Hotel. Part of the Netherlands-based global chain, CitizenM Hotels are known for their stylish spaces, a commitment to “affordable luxury” and welcoming lounges.
The development includes a public plaza overlooking the Mass Pike, improved sidewalks, bike lanes, and a bus shelter, upgrades that will benefit those who live, work and visit the neighborhood
- Anchor Line Partners are bringing a mixed-use project to life at 60 First Street in East Cambridge. Located along the Lechmere Canal at the intersection of Kendall Square, Cambridge Crossing, downtown Boston, and the renovated Lechmere MBTA station, the 650,000 square foot project—part of the Cambridgeside Galleria redevelopment— will feature lab, office, residential, and retail space.
- In the heart of the Back Bay, the Prudential Center is undergoing a major renovation and expansion focused on its popular Observatory which encompasses the building’s 50, 51st, and 52nd floors. According to Boston Properties, the $182 million project includes accessible public spaces, an 8,2000 square foot enclosed gathering spot and indoor observation deck, immersive exhibits, and an indoor-outdoor cocktail lounge. The Boston landmark will feature breathtaking 360-degree views of the city.
- Across town, Millennium Partners, the developers behind Millennium Place and Millennium Tower will introduce the much-anticipated Winthrop Center to the Downtown district. This 1.3 million square foot skyscraper will be home to 315 luxury residences as well as exclusive office space. 56,000 square feet of amenities include restaurants, two fitness centers, a 75-foot indoor swimming pool, outdoor terraces, a game room, lounge, and a spa for pets.
The property will also include the Connector, a grand hall at the tower’s base, that will be open to the public for events. The Offices at Winthrop Center will be LEED Platinum and WELL Gold certified.
- The 51-story South Station Tower will rise approximately 700 feet above one of the city’s busiest transportation hubs. Years in the making, the South Station air rights project will include 166 luxury condominiums that will take up the upper 16 floors of the 51-story, 1,020,0000 square-foot building. According to developer Hines, a commitment to sustainable design and historic preservation remains a priority. This ambitious project also includes a new bus terminal and an expanded outdoor concourse that will make travel easier for commuters and visitors alike.
Boston in general is widely recognized as a center for ideas and innovation. That creativity will be on full display as the design and construction of these cutting-edge buildings continue to shape our skyline.
JM Electrical Co., Inc. was established over 30 years ago by Paul A. Guarracino who wanted to provide the highest level of quality service to the commercial electrical contracting market. Over the years, this commitment to service along with highly experienced and dedicated personnel has allowed our company to grow its customer base and make significant contributions to major projects in the Greater Boston area.
Today, JM Electrical enjoys a reputation as an industry leader in installing building automation systems and HVAC controls. JM Electrical possesses the technical expertise to assist our customers in executing all projects from selection to installation of the most sophisticated and cost-effective building management systems.JM Electrical Company, Inc. >>